Very Important Background Info.

Monday, June 8, 2015

One of those moments

I originally started this blog to document life as a DINK with a mutt, and then quickly it evolved into a place for me to capture those memories that I didn't want to forget as we went from DINKS to DIOKS (Double Income, One Kid). Sometimes, I find myself reading back through some posts, remembering what I was thinking and feeling at the time...sometimes laughing at the triviality of it all.

One of my favorite posts was one I wrote about B, as a letter, more than a year ago. It was one of those moments that inexplicably brought tears to my eyes as my heart completely overflowed. This weekend, I had another one of those moments, and it was one that I never want to forget. So, here it goes, in another letter to B.

Dear B,

Saturday morning, we decided to head to the Worthington Farmer's Market. We had gone as a family before, but this was our first outing without a stroller and with you as a very active 2 1/2 year old explorer, adventure and selective listener. The day started out just as we expected, with some talks about listening, staying with mommy and daddy and a search for some fruits and veggies (you kept saying TOMATOES TOMATOES TOMATOES over and over again). We made our way down one side of the street and back up the other, when suddenly you heard some music. We rounded the corner and saw a man and a woman playing music on the patio at Dewey's pizza. You have suddenly entered into a phase where you can't get enough music and dancing, so this live duet literally stopped you in your tracks. Daddy and I sat down at a picnic table, but you stood there and asked us over and over to dance with you. I'll admit, my first reaction was to say no and to tell you to just go ahead and dance, but something made me say yes. I put my bags down and grabbed your little hands and we "danced" to the music that they were playing. Your version of dancing is just a modified version of ring around the rosie, but you were so so happy. Once we were dancing, you demanded that your daddy join the fun, so there we were, the three of us, holding hands and swaying to the music. I can't remember what song they were playing, but I can remember your little face looking up at us, so so happy and then so mad when they paused between songs. All you wanted to do was dance and it literally filled me up to the brim until tears spilled over. I never want to forget that moment or how I felt it was just the three of us, living in the moment and enjoying our time together.

When the musicians stopped to take a break, your daddy gave you $1 and you proceeded to take that AND one of your lucky coins (a nickel that I had given you) and gave it to the musicians. After that, we went back to our morning at the market, buying a few things and grabbing some treats before heading home.

I don't have photos or videos of our dance, it was a moment that was so spontaneous and beautiful that trying to document it wouldn't have been right. The best thing was to live in the moment with you and your daddy, twirling and spinning to the music, living in the now.

Thank you for being the kind of kid that makes me stop and live in the moment. The kind of personality that is impossible to ignore and the kind of person that makes me want to be a better mommy.

Love,
Momma

No comments: