Dear B.,
You are almost three years old. Time really does fly when you're having fun, or when you're raising YOU. You are the spunkiest, smartest, craziest nut bag of a son. I don't know what I did to deserve you, but whatever it is, I'm grateful for it every single day.
As we approach the big 3, I'm seeing more and more of your HUMAN personality come out. You are so kind and thoughtful and analytical. Even when you are running laps around the backyard or screaming through the house. You like to have things put in categories, often saying things like, "mommy, you're a girl right?" or "daddy is taller than you, right?" You know a lot of things, but still look to us as the experts in whatever subject you are thinking about at the moment.
One of the biggest changes that I'm seeing in you is your ability to reason. Time-outs are starting to work and you are realizing that we really will, in fact, make you sit in a chair or that we'll take away your toy. You know that there are consequences to your actions and you are starting to make decisions accordingly. This new level of reason is adding an infinite amount of fun to our lives (and admittedly, frustration).
Last Saturday, you and I had a special date. We went to the Worthington Farmer's market to buy coffee and then to Kroger to get a few things for breakfast. You were an absolute angel. So, when Sunday morning rolled around and you asked to go to the grocery store with me, do do our regular shopping, I said yes. I'll admit it, I was so nervous. What if you went nuts? What if I was the crazy lady, pushing a cart, chasing you around the store? But then I thought, what if it went well? And decided to take the plunge.
Thanks to a really busy year, and being pregnant, I hadn't done a lot of things with just you and I. You were prone to taking off at full speed, or having a sporadic tantrum and my pregnant body didn't always handle that well. So, our outings by ourselves, just you and I, were very few and far between. Maybe that is what made me nervous, I was out of practice for long outings in a possibly "risky" situation. But, I have to say - I'm so glad that I decided to take you with me. You listened, you were quiet and you "helped" me put things in the cart. We had no meltdowns and talked a lot about ingredients and the store and the giant, metal horse that you like to visit while we're there. It was actually really fun. And really, momma is back - so if you needed to be wrestled, chased or man handled into the cart, I'm 100% back to my pre-baby self.
I hope that our grocery dates are a regular thing. It is so great to have you all to myself and to chat about what is going on in your busy little brain. I love getting to reward you for good behavior with your Kroger balloon and really am proud when you walk up and ask for it yourself, thanking the lady without me asking you to. You are still my sweet baby, but more and more, I'm seeing glimpses of the boy and man that you are going to become and I'm so very proud of you. I'm not going to lie though, I'm pretty proud of daddy and I too. We're doing this our way and doing a really awesome job. Even when sometimes it doesn't feel like it.
Love,
Momma
1 comment:
aww i love grocery store dates!! and maaaybe especially since having babes with you allows you to snag the free cookies :) :) :)
Post a Comment