Very Important Background Info.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Thoughts about the last 30 years. In a list. In no particular order.

  1. Meeting the kind of friends who you don't need to talk to every day, the kind that years can go by between visits and when you do catch back up it was like no time has passed at all. 
  2. Moving away from home, by myself to go to college.  This was one of the scariest and best things that I've ever done.
  3. Graduating from college in 4 years, despite freshman year shenanigans and a change of majors.
  4. Meeting and marrying the love of my life. 
  5. Adopting a "free" dog during the busiest time in our lives.  Being so grateful for the fun, laughter and joy that he brings to our lives.
  6. Finishing a 1/2 marathon and deciding to do it again!
  7. Seeing Europe and loving it even more than I thought that I would.
  8. Maintaining a wonderful relationship with my parents, and being amazed at how that relationship has evolved as I've grown up.  Also, appreciating the role models that they've been for my own life and relationships.  So grateful that they helped to shape who I am today by giving me the best of what they had.  Also - a quick apology for my teen years as I learned to rein in those crazy hormones.
  9. Fighting with, making up with, fighting with, losing touch with and reconnecting with my sister.  My parents were right, we wouldn't ALWAYS hate each other.
  10. Being on the kind of spring break that I'll have to wait to tell my kids (warn my kids) about until they're at least 18.
  11. Trying and liking sushi
  12. Earning a masters degree
  13. Blogging
  14. Only really appreciating Pittsburgh after I've moved away, and strangely wanting to move back more and more.
  15. Discovering a green thumb!
  16. Finding out that I have a bit of a knack for picking paint colors.  Hellooo Key Lime Kitchen!
  17. Keeping my heart open to meeting new friends, even though it gets harder and harder as I get older.
  18. Loving to knit and crochet simple projects for friends and family.  It sounds corny, but its a little piece of me that I love to give.
  19. Photography is a bit of an unrefined passion that I'd like to explore further
  20. Travel is one of my favorite pass times
  21. Loving my time as a wife and looking forward to my time, someday, as a mother
  22. Prioritizing vacation and frivolous fun above almost everything else
  23. Learning that I have "it" in me somewhere, whatever "it" may be and that sometimes I just need to dig deep to find it. 
  24. Feeling better as a blonde.
  25. Being able to do real push-ups and being in the best shape of my life - still with lots of room for improvement.
  26. Still a nail biter...
  27. Realizing that the little lines that I'm seeing around my eyes are from many laughing fits and smiles....and being okay with it.
  28. Losing 100lbs.  It was the same 10 over and over, but I'm counting it anyway.
  29. Trying to teach myself to live in the moment and enjoy the day.
  30. Deciding to embrace the next decade...head on and full of excitement.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I love your list, Linda!

Abby said...

I like #1 the bestest. Miss you guys.

Jess :) said...

LOVE #14. I feel the same way. Weird how that works out...

Pam said...

I love the list! I was just realizing the smile lines around my eyes the other day and not sure I'm okay with them! I'll need a lesson from you on that.