Very Important Background Info.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

In need of a serious attitude adjustment

Sometimes, I tend to act out in manners that are unlike my normal personality.  This could include anything from being short with friends/family, to playing into bad attitudes and contributing to gossip and overall cattiness.  I'm not proud of the way that I've been acting, the things that I've said or the way I've been feeling.  Some of this I will attribute to a lack of sunshine brought on by ugly Ohio weather, the rest, I am attributing to bad form.

When I give into this behavior, I enter into a funk or an overall feeling of the blahs.  I begin to internalize a lot of bad things around me, some of which are completely out of my control and beyond anything that I am capable of fixing.  So, rather than hearing a story or about a situation and letting it go, I have to psychoanalyze to figure out the "woulda, couldas and shoulda's" for everyone involved.  This is complete opposite behavior from my typical, "glass half full" attitude, which will usually lead me to the conclusion that everything's going to be ok or that everything happens for a reason.  

Contributing to my overall stress and frazzled behavior has been a combination of work and personal situations - some of which I'm capable of changing and some of which I'm not. Perhaps the most frustrating situations are the ones that I'm putting major effort into rectifying, but haven't been and likely will not be successful.  Unfortunately, these are the situations that can dictate my mood, resulting in a trickle down effect.  This attitude that I've developed lately is affecting all areas of my life, including my health, marriage, work, and friendships.  Being resentful of people and things that I have no control over will do me no good.  Rest assured, I've identified one of the major problems, have accepted that its beyond my control and am moving on and no longer bringing myself down to its level as its not a place where I feel comfortable because really, I don't belong there.

My dad - a wise and patient man, used to tell me that "Self control is the key to a happy, healthy and successful life."  This was usually after he made me repeat that "I am irresponsible" after doing something well, irresponsible.  He's right.  I have the power to control my bad behavior and break through the blah's to return back to my loose interpretation of normal.  I'm promising to look at the glass as 1/2 full with unlimited refills and to make the most of my situation before I assume the worst.  Let me introduce you to my new motto, straight from the wall of a bar.  Isn't that where all good mottos come from?

2 comments:

Kere said...

we all get in the funks, which sometimes seem to just take us over. That is a great quote from your dad. I'm going to try to remember that and remind myself of it.

Holiday Cheer in 2 weeks :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Linda. I think this is something that everyone on the planet can wholeheartedly relate to.