I've gone there. The floodgates are open and there's no turning back. I've made the fatal mistake that will change the way I live the next few weeks of my life. No, I haven't started a crash diet or some sort of lunatic cleanse...I've started reading the Twilight series. I've been hearing the hype for some time now, and actually had added the series to my list of "must reads", kept on a post-it note in my planner. I figured, I'd pick them when I got around to it or when I finished the other books that I've got piling up in my house. The problem with me is that I can't go into Barnes & Noble without coming out with SOMETHING. Add to that the fact that I tend to judge books by their covers and that most covers are eye catching for that very reason and you can understand the stacks of books that are in my possession.
So what do you know, our first book club assignment is none other than Twilight. I bought the book and began reading. Its very apparent that its written for a teen audience. This brought to mind the Harry Potter Books, which obviously weren't written for adults but were loved all the same. I'm another one that was hooked on that series, but I digress. So I begin reading Twilight and don't get hooked. In fact, despite popular opinion, I was actually able to put the book down to complete simple tasks like laundry, bathing, eating and sleeping. My friends told me that they were so hooked that they'd read hundreds of pages at a time, but I was still in the very beginning of the book.
Over New Year's break, I had some time, so I picked it up and began to read. I looked up and hours had passed and the book was finished. The book grabbed me and held on until the bitter end, leaving me wanting and needing more. Today, I headed off to the store to pick up the remainder of the series. Since I had pre-ordered the books, they were waiting for me, making the transaction very quick and easy, so much so that I figured that I had some time to sit down and read. One hour and 94 pages later I realized I was late for a meeting.
The girls that I work with are equally obsessed, sneaking pages in during lunch. Someone even mentioned that she thought about sneaking off to the bathroom to catch a chapter or two. Now that we've completed the first book and some of us are on to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th books, we're braving the critics and going to see the movie on Friday. I'm hoping that I'm not disappointed but am so glad to have found this series. The books are doing wonders to beat the winter blues and seems like a fair trade-off for the sweets and treats that I'm trying to detoxify from.
2 comments:
I can tell you what all 4 books are about just by looking at the cover...book 1 - someone is bobbing for apples, someone picks a bad one (or a vampire) and finds it strangely attractive. Book 2 - The blood red flower tells us that the person who bobbed for nasty apple, but not nasty to them, falls head over tits for the bad apple. Book 3 - vampire bites idiot person who fell for vampire, thus causing a breakup of sorts, thus the torn (or bitten) ribbon. Book 4 - now that they're both vampires, they rule the world - hence the "king" chess piece on the cover. THE END.
Correction, I believe that's a queen chess piece on the cover of book 4....either way - same outcome.
Post a Comment