I've been riveted by the images that are coming out of Haiti. I can't help but read msnbc and check yahoo news for the latest updates and information. Do I know anyone in Haiti? No. But I'm sure that I know someone who knows someone who knows someone...
The world is so much smaller now that we have the blogosphere, Facebook, the Twitterverse, flickr and many others, making it so much easier to stay on top of the most current events. Suddenly, something that would have been a blip on the radar 10 years ago, is world news. Its more human since the information is coming direct from the people in the middle, rather than polished reporters, seeking an exclusive story. Of course, an earthquake anywhere is a major event, but add the photographs and first hand accounts of desperation and despair, and suddenly the tragedy isn't just an event, its has a face and a voice.
As I read the paragraphs and view the sometimes graphic images, I find myself seeking and hoping for a happy ending for the people who have been affected by the tragedy. This is true with most of the "tragic" news that I'm inexplicably drawn to. Sometimes learning and reading about the bad helps you to better see and appreciate the good. So, you might see me as a tragic news junkie or a reality show (Intervention, Hoarders, Trauma) addict, I see myself as a person who is watching and waiting for a happy ending.
My sister put it best, using Social Interview on Facebook. When asked, "Is Linda more of a half empty or half full type of person?" She answered, "The glass is overflowing." I figure that this is the best way to be, that way I have a little extra just in case anyone else needs topped off.
No comments:
Post a Comment