When its the three of us at home, Chino keeps it casual. For example, when Nick and I are watching TV, Chino will lay in the kitchen or on the rug behind the love seat. This is his way of keeping tabs on us, but not letting us think that he really cares, even though he does. He has a similar routine for when Nick and I are working around the house - he has an air about him of nonchalance. If I'm upstairs and Nick is downstairs, he'll lay in the hallway, so he can monitor our movements with minimal effort. Its pretty funny and he's a pretty good actor, trying to make us believe that being a loyal companion is beneath him.
Last night, it was just the two of us, so rather than lay in the kitchen, he laid on the floor, next to the couch. Every time I moved, he perked up and eagerly watched where I was going, making sure that all was well. He eventually moved up onto the couch (voluntarily!), laying on my feet, sound asleep. It seemed like this was his time to relax, since he knew exactly where I was and knew that he'd know immediately if I chose to move. When it was time to go outside, he got up begrudgingly and went into the chilly fall night to do his business. I was so warm and toasty, that I hated to break things up, but business is business. As if the cool air woke him up, he came running into the house, full force, tennis ball in his mouth, ready to play at 12am. Since he humored me, I humored him and we played a short game of chase and fetch before bed.
When it was time for bed, he headed up stairs and jumped into our bed immediately. Typically, he'll lay at the foot of the bed, trying to dodge feet and legs. Last night, he snuggled right up to my leg, as close as he could get. This isn't normal for him, and Nick and I always joke that cuddling makes him uncomfortable. He was content, snoozing in bed with me while I watched WE and waited for Nick to come home.
Sure enough, he snapped back to normal Chino as soon as he heard Nick's truck in the driveway. When he came back upstairs for bed after properly greeting Nick, he didn't resume his spot next to me, he laid on the floor at the foot of the bed, acting cool and casual. I know better though, because when I woke up this morning, he was snuggled up next to me in bed, that is until his breakfast hit his bowl and then he was off!
Its hard work keeping tabs on his people without his people knowing that they're being kept track of. He does a good job and having him around, makes me feel safer when its just me and him. This morning, when I came downstairs, he was resting comfortably on the couch, obviously tired out after being on high alert for most of last night.

No comments:
Post a Comment